Born in New York City in 1926, Saul Mandel studied art at the High School of Industrial Arts in Manhattan and upon graduation married his high school sweetheart Seba before going into the military.
During World War II he served in the Hawaii-based Art Unit attached to U.S Army Intelligence with the task of disseminating important information to an audience scattered throughout the Pacific theatre. Upon returning to civilian life in 1945 Mandel began his career in commercial arts designing record album covers from his studio in Manhattan with fellow designer Sid Maurer for Columbia Records.
He branched off in his own studio in NYC in the 1950’s
until he built a studio in Jericho, NY.
In 1986, Graphis stated that Mandel, “deliberately set out to achieve a style that was universal in language and appeal. To this deliberation he added out of his own nature a habit of humor allied to a love of all things childhood. From this there has resulted a style that is simple, smiling and naive, at once widely understood by young and old, by the ingenuous and the sophisticated.”
He has been awarded by advertising societies and publications including The Society of Illustrators and the New York Art Directors Club, The Chicago Art Directors Club and among many others Communication Arts Magazine and Graphis. Many of his paintings are in the permanent collections of The Museum of American Illustration, The Air Force Museum, The New York Zoological Society, The Israel Museum, The Hebrew Arts Institute, and numerous prestigious private collections in the United States and Abroad.
For the majority of his life he lived and worked out of Jericho, New York with his family of five children. He remained loyal and married to Seba his entire life. Seba was a writer and helped manage Saul’s career.